Learning to Come When Called

By Sue De Laurentis and Allen Pogue, Imagine A Horse, 2015

We all know it’s possible to train a dog to come when called but did you ever think it would be possible to train your horse to come? Our veterinarians and farriers too will tell you that even with over 50 horses on the ranch, every single one can be called out of a herd by name.

Every horse can learn his name and to come when called even if he’s in a group. Imagine how much easier it could be to catch your horse when he is turned out or has gotten loose!

We use the horse’s name every time we are near him, speaking in an affirmative manner with full expectation that he will recognize it. We make it a pleasurable experience for him by adding a food treat. Pretty much the same way we would teach a dog his name. After he knows his name we’ll teach him come when he’s called.

If you read Using Treats as a Training Tool or watched our DVD, you and probably your horse too should already know the cue that means a treat is coming…like “cookie time”.

Here are the tools you will need

• A treat pouch and your horse’s favorite flavor of treats.
  • Possibly a halter and lead

Because he already understands treats basics we can get his attention with the cue “cookie time.” As I approach him, I will cue him for a treat and add his name too. “Cookie time, Marz (one of my horses)” and encourage him to take a few steps toward me.

At first, I may take a few steps toward him but gradually he will come to me from a greater distance.

Each time I repeat the sequence I’ll encourage him to take a few more steps. I will also reverse the order of the words and use his name first. “Marz, cookie time.”

With a few repetitions a day, he’ll soon be coming to me reliably when I call his name even in a group.

After he knows the sequence, try simply rubbing him on the face which is an alternative great reward.

So remember:

• Use only the necessary verbal cues
  • Always make it a pleasant experience for him to come to you
  • Catch him often just for fun, not work!

Write a comment

Comments: 12
  • #1

Write My Essay For Me (Saturday, 17 June 2017 02:33)

A youthful puppy that has been all around treated will normally need to stay with its proprietor yet as it develops more seasoned it will discover new, energizing, fortifying things wherever it goes. You must remain the main of all these superb things. That way, when you call it, your puppy will have the capacity to tear itself far from each one of those other energizing articles and come back to you.

• #2

assignment help (Wednesday, 19 July 2017 07:27)

• #3

do my assignment online (Thursday, 20 July 2017 06:13)

• #4

Pay Someone To Do My Homework (Thursday, 27 July 2017 02:39)

Those steeds that were slightest sore from the activity had more extensive loins, the piece of a steed's back situated between their last rib and croup.

• #5

write my essay for me (Tuesday, 29 August 2017 07:45)

• #6

help with assignment (Thursday, 05 October 2017 07:43)

A horse can be prepared to come when called simply like some other creature. Fortifying positive conduct with nourishment is the most well-known technique. With the end goal for this to work, you should assemble a bond with your stallion, make the connection between a treat and great conduct, and afterward educate your steed this new conduct.

• #7

Essay Help Online UK (Tuesday, 12 December 2017 00:07)

We as a whole know it's conceivable to prepare a puppy to come when called however did you ever figure it is conceivable to prepare your steed to come? Our veterinarians and farriers too will reveal to you that even with more than 50 steeds on the farm, each and every one can be gotten out of a group by name.

• #8

Essay Writing Help (Tuesday, 12 December 2017 03:11)

We, in general, know it's possible to set up a canine to come when called however did you ever figure it is possible to set up your stallion to come? Our veterinarians and farriers too will reveal to you that even with more than 50 steeds on the ranch, every single one can be escaped a group by name.

• #9

buy assignment (Wednesday, 13 December 2017 06:42)

In my opinion its rather easy to train horse and dog both then any other animal, because both dog and horse are famous for their honesty towards their owners..

• #10

cheap assignment service (Tuesday, 23 January 2018 01:07)

• #11

do my homework online (Tuesday, 23 January 2018 04:13)

understands treats basics we can get his attention with the cue “cookie time.”

• #12

Pay to Do my Coursework (Friday, 02 February 2018 03:27)

As I would like to think its fairly simple to prepare steed and pooch both then some other creature, in light of the fact that both canine and steed are celebrated for their genuineness towards their proprietors..